Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
If your home or business in Broadview suffers from a fire loss, your primary focus should be safety first. Is it safe for you to stay in the home? Down below are the most important DO's and DON'TS you should consider until our SERVPRO of Arlington Heights/Prospect Heights team help arrives to your property. Our SERVPRO team is highly trained and experienced in fire damage cleanup and restoration and uses advanced technology and equipment to ensure that your fire damage is made to be "Like it never even happened."
Check out our Fire Damage Tips down below.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (847) 637-3445
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.