The Fire Hazards of Winter!
Keeping ourselves and our houses warm during winter can rapidly turn into a fire hazard, whether it's with a space heater, candles, or an electric blanket. There are various things you can do to make your home more fire-safe, as well as activities you can personally adopt to assist you to stay safe this winter.
- Candles should be kept at least 3 feet away from anything that can catch fire.
- Place candles in robust holders and in places where they won't be easily knocked over.
- Make sure that candles are out of reach of youngsters and dogs.
- If you leave the room, fall asleep, or go to bed, extinguish all candles.
- Only use one wall outlet at a time to plug in a heat-producing gadget (coffee maker, space heater, microwave, etc.).
- When using a heat-producing appliance, never utilize an extension cord.
- Extension cords should only be used for a short period of time.
- Furniture, beds, curtains, clothing, and flammable or combustible gases and liquids should all be kept away from lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs.
- Make room for space heaters! Anything that can burn should be kept at least three feet away from heating equipment (furnace, fireplace, wood stove, portable heater, etc.).
- When you leave the room or go to bed, turn off the space heater.
- A competent specialist should clean and inspect your heating equipment and chimneys once a year.
- Never heat your home using an oven.
Always make sure you have a working smoke and carbon monoxide alarm at all times in case of a fire.